Monday 6 January 2014

Discussion on Genre

Discussion on Genre

After researching the genre of Pop I've realized that it is not as easily defined as I originally thought as some of what fall into the pop genre do not necessarily fall completely into the pop genre but some have more indie or urban feels to them, however they still include typical characteristics of the pop genre and are labelled as Pop. This is good as it allows me more choice in the direction which in which I want to take my video and allows me more creative freedom when shooting my video.





Although Cheryl Cole is well known for her 'Pop Princess' Status her video for 'Call My Name' is a little less pristine and polished as a stereotypical Pop video. There are certain characteristics of a pop video such as the close ups of her and the dance routine but even the dance routine is centered around Cheryl and a group of male dancers and with the underground setting for the routine the video is automatically given a more urban tone.







Another example of a pop video which is slightly unusual to the genre is Ellie Goulding's 'Your Song' despite being a pop song in the video we rarely see any of the stereotypical characteristics of the pop genre. The video is very stripped back and focuses a lot on Ellie and nature, to me this gives the video a more indie feel to it and it feels very timeless and vintage whereas usually pop videos are very high production and emulate high production and pop culture this video inverts this stereotype.


These two videos help to expand the possibilities of my pop video and provide me with ideas of how to both continue the genre and invert it.





No comments:

Post a Comment